Senior Database Administrator
This is a SQL Database Administrator role largely responsible for providing operational database support to the organization. Primary responsibilities of this role would include owning, tracking and resolving database related incidents and requests, fulfilling requests and resolving incidents within SLAs, reviewing service related reports (e.g: database backups, maintenance, monitoring) on a daily basis to ensure issues are identified and resolved within established SLAs, responding to database related alerts and escalations and working with database engineering to come up with strategic solutions to recurring problems.
This is primarily an operational DBA role that requires a service oriented mentality, high sense of ownership of the problems and requests assigned, focus on managing and resolving issues in alignment with the SLAs, establishing and maintaining communication with technology customers to keep them updated with status of their requests, initiating and performing changes on production systems and proactively escalating any issues that cannot be resolved within the established timeframes.
Respond to critical issues in a timely fashion while participating in 24/7 on call rotational shift, while maintaining a certain level of availability while not on call
REQUIREMENTS for SQL Database Administrator:
- Experience in database design and support in MS SQL, MySQL and Couchbase Server environments.
- Manage database performance, capacity and availability.
- Assist with certification and accreditation as well as security remediation for various business applications with a focus on database related tasks to achieve SOX, HIPAA and PCI compliance
- Strong experience in general Database Administration in SQL Server (2014, 2012 and 2008 )
- SQL Development – ability to write and troubleshoot SQL Code and design ( stored procs, functions, tables, views, triggers, indexes, constraints )
- Knowledge of SQL Server tools ( Profiler, DTA, SSMS, SAC, SSCM, PerfMon, DMVs, system sprocs)
- Experience in troubleshooting and resolving database integrity issues, performance issues, blocking and deadlocking issues, replication issues, log shipping issues, connectivity issues, security issues etc.
- Design, develop, modify, test, release/ deploy and maintain database security and audit solutions design, develop, modify, test, release/ deploy and maintain database recovery solutions
- Best practices to develop work plans, checklists and defined processes.
- Experience in Performance Tuning, Query Optimization, using Performance Monitor, SQL Profiler and other related monitoring and troubleshooting tools.
- Ability to detect and troubleshoot SQL Server related CPU, memory, I/O, disk space and other resource contention.
- Takes ownership of highly complex or critical database incidents and problems and provides resolutions in a timely manner
- Strong knowledge of how indexes, index management, integrity checks, configuration, patching. How statistics work, how indexes are stored, how they can be created and managed effectively.
- Strong knowledge of backups, restores, recovery models, database shrink operations, DBCC commands, Clustering, Database mirroring, Replication, AlwaysOn
- Participates in project technical reviews. Leads work product reviews.
- Engages SMEs or vendors to provide assistance to resolve more complex incidents as required
- SQL Database Operational support to tech users
- Ability to create database project plans that include manpower and time estimates
- SOX, HIPAA and PCI Compliance Experience
- Basic acquaintance with windows server, security delegation, SPNs, storage components.
- Documentation skills for processes and procedures ( creating KBs, runbooks, topology etc )
- Documenting existing and future environments
- Knowledge of 3rd party DBA tools and applications ( e.g redgate, idera, SCOM, Erwin )
- MCDBA / MCT certification
- MySQL Clustering
- SQL Server Clustering
- SQL Server / MySQL Performance Tuning
- Couchbase Clustering
- Couchbase Optimization
- Knowledge in a scripting language like PowerShell, VBScript, WSH
- Linux and windows OS knowledge
- MySQL Skills
- Couchbase Skills
- SQL 2008/12
- Able to support Oncall
- Team orientated
- Client Facing
- Communications Skills
- Self-Development skills